Monday, 20 July 2015

Market madness

We went to the 'cheapest and best Sunday market' on the weekend. It was probably one of the most authentic markets I've been to in India, the most similar being a random one in Mysore but even that was full of people selling overpriced 'ood' and spices. This market which I think is called 'Goubert Market' was full of locals going about their daily business, getting their fruit and vegetables. 

I don't think they were accustomed to seeing many westerners and they definitely weren't the type to pander/ indulge the curiosity of travellers so when I complained about a turmeric stain on the cloth bag I had just bought the old shop owner literally told me to 'go away'. I actually found that quite refreshing, why should they have to fuss about something that their usual customers wouldn't think twice about. That made me think of a few things- tourists, especially from the west must actually be pretty annoying for locals. Living in London, I find it annoying when tourists stop in the middle of a busy road to take a picture of something that I take completely for granted. So surely locals here must get tired of random people coming in and observing their mundane daily rituals as if they are something from a completely different world. But of course this is only some people, I find that a lot of people in India get really excited about Westetners being interested in their culture and are enthusiastic about answering questions and often want to help you in whatever way they can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment