Monday, 3 August 2015

The Raw Revolution

I'd been wanting to try the Wild Food Cafe for a while. I'd always walked past it in Neal's Yard and not thought much of it but I've got caught up in the raw/vegan/all natural hype and after seeing what their raw cakes looked like... I had to try it. There's communal seating so the places emits a bit of a friendly and inclusive vibe which seems to fit the typical profile of vegetarian restaurant. There were loads of things that I wanted to try on the menu so I'll definitely be making a trip back. I went for the Ayurvedic salad, it seemed fitting for me though I would have assumed there would have been some ghee and/or turmeric if it were truly Ayurvedic. But good marketing to appeal to Yogis. The salad was delicious, a combo of avocado, olives, mixed leave, courgette noodles, seaweed. Yum. (I forgot to take a picture of our mains because I was about 0.2 seconds from passing out from starvation so had to inhale it immediately)
We also got the 'Forgotten Ecstasy' Smoothie which was undeniably very nice. The main ingredients are raw cacao, dates and coconut milk, a winning combination. ALTHOUGH I would say, if you own a nutribullet or any type of blender then you could make this yourself so easily/ maybe even better because you can customise it yourself. I like making chocolately smoothies in the nutribullet with a frozen banana, a normal banana, a heaped table spoon of raw cacao, a table spoon of almond butter,a little bit of agave then topped up with almond milk. When you think about making it at home, paying £6.20 for the Forgotten Ecstasy is quite painful, but it was worth it for the sake of trying it.
The RAW BANOFFEE CHEESECAKE was the star of the show for me. Probably because I just LOVE banoffee. I'll be honest, it isn't all that similar to an actual bonoffee pie but it is something special in its own right. I personally don't think I have the patience to make a raw cake/tart... maybe I will one day so going to the Wild Food Cafe for a lil taste of raw perfection is okay with me. Basically, if you are expecting a cake or pie like consistency, you will be disappointed, but if you go in with an open mind and take it for what it is then you will be pleasantly surprised. It also looks amazing which is always a bonus. I need to go back to try the White Choc Tart now.
I've also made some of my own raw creations at home. These are a hybrid of the deliciouslyella raw brownies and power balls which I added extra random stuff to that I had in the cupboard. They are so easy to make, probably around 10 minutes with the nutribullet. I used: A cup of walnuts, a cup of almonds, raw cacao, agave nectar, dried cranberries, chia seeds, flax seed powder and cinnamon. So easy and even my raw brownie HATER boyfriend liked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment