Friday, 4 September 2015

Travel Diaries: Florence

 
I've been in Italy for a week now! We're staying in the beautiful Tuscan countryside but have had a couple of day trips to Siena and Florence. I went to Florence with no real expectations and left ictching to go back. The combination of ancient Roman relics, wonky old buildings, unreal food and the hustle and bustle of a modern city drew me in.

 

Naturally, our first pit stop was at a coffee bar to get a cappuccino and a pastry before we set off to explore the city. 

 

None of us felt like standing in the heat for three hours to get inside the cathedral so we admired it's beauty from the outside. The architecture in Florence is so completely different from the concrete jungle that I'm used to in London. As a self confessed London lover it felt strange to fall a little bit in love with another city. 


Can anyone really say no to gelato? We tried out this organic gelato shop which made their own fresh waffle cones. I chose a scoop of chocolate&hazelnut and coffee. If I had to describe this gelato in one word it would be: creamy. 


The view from the bridge overlooking the Ponte Vecchio. 


LUNCH TIME! This Frutti Mare spaghetti was delicious. Fresh clams and mussels tossed into fresh pasta with a garlicky sauce- havenly. 






Then to the Uffizi gallery. I've been spoilt by countless trips to the V&A and The National Portrait Gallery as a child so I always feel like I've seen the same artifacts again and again. Going to museums and galleries in other cities is so exciting because you get to see everything for the first time. I fell in love with Botticelli's 'The Birth of Venus' and 'Primavera'. I'm not gonna go into pretentious art speak because I'm no art historian but I really did love them. The Uffizi is way to big to conquer in one visit and I didn't get to see the statue of David- so I suppose that means I'll have to make another trip back to Florence at some point.







No comments:

Post a Comment